Monday, July 2, 2012

This is how socially awkward I can be....

Every morning on my block, you must move your car by 8. Was very hard to get used to at first, but as time has passed it is just a normal thing to me now. So the common sight is a bunch of zombie like people walking down the streets as that last stretch of 7:59 passes. We are all half asleep, bed head crazy hair, and of course in our pajamas still. All walking to our cars to drive it around a corner, park and walk back home. Standard morning. I am walking behind the guy in the building next to me, maybe 15 feet or so, he ends up at his car first, I pass him and finally come to my jeep. We both drive down to the section of parking that is non ticket territory. Since we end up at the same spot around the block, I decide to be neighborly and make a joke about the morning parking ritual we both have in common. We end up as strangers walking down the side walk together. I have been trying to sharpen my social skills with strangers, so I decide this is a great time to practice. I continue to make small talk about the cars, and he uncomfortably hints that he has a girlfriend, by mentioning the words we when he refers to his life. I picked up on the fact that he may feel that I am trying to hit on him, and I am thinking "FUCK!" I was in no position to be hitting on someone, I am not a morning person, it takes about 5 hours of morning to pass before life starts to charge into my eyes, my hair is a curly afro, I have huge dark sunglasses on to hide my dark eyes....listen buddy, I am not hitting on you!

 It was one of those situations where one of us wants to either speed up or slow down, but we have now been walking down the sidewalk next to each other for a long enough period of time that it would be very awkward to accomplish the sidewalk split. Since I am new at this whole social thing :) I start thinking how am I going to get away from this guy? I begin to think about maybe starting to pretend I am going to jog, yes that's it, I will pretend I was going to jog. Shit, realize I am in pajamas with flip flops, not really jog attire. So we come up to the crosswalk, and it was a moment for quick decisions. I could either 1. Continue to walk to my apartment next to this guy in very uncomfortable silence as he is wanting nothing to do with me 2. Continue my failed attempt to small talk with my neighbor who wants nothing to do with me OR 3. I could walk to complete opposite direction of my apartment and hide behind a corner until he is out of sight.....why that was even an option is beyond my comprehension.

So naturally I walk the other direction, wave to him saying have a nice day! I cross the street, and think to myself, well maybe I could be walking to that gas station down the street. Ya that's what I could be doing, walking to get a candy bar. Until I get across the street and it just dead ends at a highway on ramp...shit. So then my option is to wait and hide around the corner, or cross back where I came from. Well I just dash around the corner and hide for a good minute, making sure my neighbor has enough time to get out of sight so I am not humiliated at the fact that I just ran away and hid. When I start my trek back up to my apt, I am slinking closely to the wall to try to stay out of sight just in case he is still up ahead....That is how socially awkward I am, when things get weird I just run away! Such a freak!

4 comments:

  1. this should be good

    ReplyDelete
  2. please delete previous comment of mine... keep this one: I think you are VERY attractive which can intimidate people, make them uncomfortable as they blush standing next to you. They panic and think "my girlfriend will kill me if she sees me talking with Cay Rush..." Sad because they miss the artist, the person, the soul of you. I used to be the nervous type like the guy in your story, since recovery I walk around aroused and confident, nothing closing me up--Especially not an attraction....PEACE!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we met like this, I'd probably run away too all freaked, because some girl was hitting on me. So you wouldn't have to run away, haha. I'd do it for you. Mucho awkward sometimes.

    I think guys are just like that though. Girl starts conversation with you – "OMG! She must be hitting on me." It's worse if you're attractive/skinny/whatever society is throwing at us in advertisements. Cursed! It's sad, but trust me, I know.

    It's actually kind of nice that he mentioned he had a girlfriend. He's a nice honest guy, and didn't want you to get your hopes up about the two of you. I know, I know, you weren't hitting on him. But as you wrote, he probably thought you were. What was the alternative? He could have tried picking up back on you and cheating on his girlfriend? Or maybe he is breaking up with his girlfriend now to buy you flowers? Haha, sorry, I shouldn't say that.

    If you thought he "wants nothing to do with me" you're probably assuming that. I bet he was actually thinking "Damn! Where was this girl before I met my current girlfriend?!" I kid, I kid. Sorta.

    Maybe you could have mentioned you had a boyfriend or a fiancé? Even if you don't, it could have eased both your minds and the situation. It's funny, sometimes if I talk to a girl I don't know, they'll mention their boyfriend or what not, just like this guy did. It's code, but we all know it means. Silly humans.

    https://twitter.com/mikedashg/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was laughing pretty hard reading this. Awesome! I totally relate! Also, I always have to move my car at 8 A.M. on my block too. Same deal. However, I usually forget to put on shoes or don't realize the clothes I put on are noticeably dirty. I never end up walking next to anyone afterwards...wonder why...
    Really though, super funny post!

    ReplyDelete