Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My first bus ride

I am sitting on the bus, and I do have to admit I actually quite enjoy my leisure time of bus riding. At the moment since I have no social life it is ok to take up so much of my time riding on this bus, but I do save about two hours of time when I ride chicken chase. I have met, well when I say met I observe, a great deal of interesting people on here.

My first ride I met and spoke to an old heavyset surfer. I would assume any surfer who is not financially backed by mummy and daddy ends up like this guy. He told me he just got back bodyguarding a guy who wants to hire him on full time for 10k a month. I would say the amount of teeth he was missing, which probably no doubt a direct result of all the drug use, was no where near the amount of brain cells he had misplaced along the years. He was very sweet though, and I felt bad for him when he told me his children wouldn't allow him in their lives. No doubt when they grew up and saw he would never change the pain they got from that was easier to keep him out of their lives.

He plays music for money in downtown Huntington beach. I have actually seen him before and I had forgotten until he mentioned it, he was easy to miss at the time as he was playing on the ground with a hat set out to collect his appreciations. Banging on a set of bongo drums I easily walked past him and into my restaurant to eat. Now I wished I would have stopped and given him a dollar or two as I undoubtedly gave my pissy waiter more for the service of ignoring my empty water cup, to be fair he was probably hungover so I can't blame him. The surfer talked about how one day someone will recognize his music and he will make it big. Sadly he was already on disability for his diabetes and I felt his dream would never come true before life took him away from it all. At least in his head he always keeps it alive and finds great happiness with his situation, sometimes that is for the best. Our journey comes to an end as he excitedly points out his house, a small trailer shared with multiple roomates, he pays a ridiuculous amount of $600 for a tiny cardboard room. He doesn't even care though, he gets a room where he looks straight at the beach from his window, a small $600 is nothing for what he is actually getting. This had been my second encounter with him, the first was insignificant to me until later it was given meaning by meeting him on the bus.

I did see him again. Although I was on my moped waiting at a stop light. He was riding his scooter, probably to go play for his crowd of people. He was riding the tiny metal scooter, that probably was never meant to hold even someone half of his weight. He wore a shirt, which was riding up his back, and hold up his pants was a metal studded belt, not doing it's job obviously since he had 2 inches of crack hanging over the scooter seat. He wore a little bike helmet and it was quite a funny sight to see. Particularly since I knew so much of his life, or at least his dream life.



No comments:

Post a Comment